…Can you tell I had a bit of a chocolate craving when I made these?
Okay, to be honest, I was trying to figure out a way to mimic Oreos through cupcakes. This recipe almost got me there, but I still want to do a little work with it. And add some frosting.
First off, I should say that my inspiration for the White Chocolate Cream Filling came from the Journal Sentinel’s Make your own Oreos? Yes, and tweak the filling, too! post. It’s a pretty easy filling to make, but you’ll want to start it early in the day – you need to let it sit for six hours before you use it. I changed mine slightly, adding a bit of extra whipping cream at the end. The change resulted in a slightly firmer, creamier-tasting filling than the Journal Sentinel’s, but I’m sure you could use either one.
The cupcakes, too, are fairly easy to make. And as a bonus, they only use one bowl. Who am I to complain about less clean-up?
The result is a wonderfully moist cupcake with a sweet-yet-creamy filling that won’t make a mess by spilling out as you eat it. I kept mine refrigerated (I wasn’t comfortable leaving them out because of the cream), which made the filling just a little bit firmer. Plus, the coolness of the filling complimented the richness of the cupcake really well.
I think, if I were to add frosting to these, I would make it a whipped cream frosting that doesn’t have much sweetness to it. I’d also consider adding some Oreo baking crumbs to it, just for that extra bit of chocolate kick.
Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Filling
- 6 ounces Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup whipping cream, divided
- 4 ounces Baker’s white chocolate, chopped or grated
- Prepare your filling: Bring 1/2 cup of the whipping cream just to a boil. Turn the stove off and add the white chocolate. Let it sit for a moment, and then whisk to incorporate. Remove from stove and let cool on the counter for six hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, microwave your butter and chocolate until the butter is melted, about two minutes. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in the sugar until blended. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla.
- Stir in the first 1/2 cup of the flour, as well as the other dry ingredients. Alternate beating in the remaining flour and the water, 1/2 cup at a time. Blend until smooth.
- Fill muffin liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- When ready to fill cupcakes: Whisk your cream and white chocolate mixture. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of whipping cream and whisk until peaks just start to form.
- Cut a cone out of the top of each cupcake. Cut the peak off each cone. Using an icing bag or spoon, fill the holes in the cupcakes. Replace the tops.
Leave a Reply