You know those days when you’re just not feeling all that great? Maybe you’re stressed at work, maybe you’re sick, maybe you’re having some personal problems. Well, I don’t know about you, but when I’m having days like that, I tend to crave chocolate. This usually isn’t a problem, unless the not-so-great times last for more than a couple of days.
That’s when something like these Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins comes in handy. They provide that kick of chocolate, but in a smaller, more acceptable form. And when I say acceptable, I mean you can eat them for breakfast because they have the word “muffin” in their name.
These muffins aren’t overly complicated to make. You whisk together your dry ingredients in one bowl, and then, in a second bowl, mix your wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir, and add your chocolate chips. Pop them in the oven for a few minutes, and you’re good to go.
I love the miniature chocolate chips in these muffins. They’re small and cute, but, when eaten, provide a whole lot of chocolaty taste. And they’re the perfect size to get that just-right muffin-to-chocolate ratio. They’d probably work well for regular-size muffins, as well, but if you go for giant muffins, I would definitely use regular-size chocolate chips.
One of my favourite parts of this recipe is that the muffins are so easy to freeze. I find that they don’t end up sticking together in a freezer bag, and they don’t take long to defrost when I take them out. When I’m ready to eat one, I just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. They come out warm, soft, and with plenty of almost-melted chocolate.
I use a bit of cinnamon in these muffins, but not quite enough to give the muffins much of a spiced taste. There’s just a hint of cinnamon flavour, which complements the vanilla base and chocolate chips really well. But, these would be great either without the cinnamon or with more for a bit of a kick.
Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
- In a second bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg until the mixture is smooth. Mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Pour the second bowl of ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir to moisten. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a teaspoon, fill a greased miniature muffin pan. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the tops start to brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve. If serving later, rewarm in the microwave.