Banana bread is such a staple food. It’s one of the first things I remember learning to bake, and I don’t think I know anyone who hasn’t made it, or asked someone to make it for them, at some point in their life.
As good as basic banana bread is, I’ve always been open to trying something new. Whether that’s adding something like berries, or switching up the flavour combo, there’s always room to play.
That’s what led me here, to my Loaded Banana Bread. I was looking to combine a few different flavours that I’ve come to enjoy over the years, and I’m happy to say that I’ve managed it.
This banana bread is, well, loaded with good things. Bananas, of course, plus chocolate chips, almonds, maple syrup and honey.
The result is something incredible. The banana bread comes out moist, without completely falling apart when you cut into it.
And the flavours…. The chocolate and banana play off of each other, bringing to mind the style of banana bread I’d crave when I was younger. But the addition of the almonds brings out a nuttier flavour, and the maple syrup adds an extra, subtle little punch that just brings everything together.
But I’ll admit, the addition of honey and maple syrup weren’t just for flavour. I keep hearing about how they’re a healthier addition than regular white sugar, so I figured, why not try switching it out? I’m honestly not sure if it makes a big difference, health-wise, so I’m not going to claim that it does. But it does make at least some difference in the flavour.
All I’m going to do is ask you to just take this recipe for what it is: sweet, melt-in-your-mouth chocolaty-banana goodness.
Loaded Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 mashed bananas (medium)
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the honey and maple syrup. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Blend in the mashed bananas.
- In a second, larger bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips and almonds.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in the banana mixture. Stir only to moisten.
- Transfer the batter to a greased loaf pan. Back for about 1 hour, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the banana bread stand for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- The bread will stay fresh for about five days if wrapped.